Sculptra Pre + Post Care
- If you have a special event or vacation coming up, please keep in mind that you should schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Do not schedule any of the following for 4 weeks before or after Sculptra:
- Dental cleaning or dental work (crowns, root canals, etc.)
- Surgery of any kind
- Internal device placement
- Tattoos or permanent makeup
- Any vaccines
- Please wait 3 months before or after dermal filler
- If you develop a cold/flu, cold sore, blemish or rash, etc. in the area to be treated prior to your appointment, please wait at least 2 weeks to reschedule.
- Sculptra is not generally recommended if you have a history of surgical face lifts/implants in the past. We do not treat patients who have had Bellafill in the past.
- Do not receive Sculptra if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- It is recommended to discontinue aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Aleve), platelet inhibitors, anticoagulants, fish oil, vitamin E, vitamin A, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, garlic, kava kava, celery root and any other herbal or homeopathic remedies that may contribute to bleeding risk at least 1 week prior to Sculptra injections. Please consult with your primary care provider prior to discontinuing any of these medications.
- If you have a history of a neuromuscular or immunosuppressive disorder, please get a signed note from your treating provider authorizing the use of Sculptra.
- Avoid alcohol, niacin supplements and cigarettes 24-48 hours before and after your treatment, as these may contribute to increased swelling, bruising, and irritation. Limit caffeine intake.
- If you have a history of cold sores, we recommend you are pretreated with valacyclovir prior to your injections. Please let us know if you need a prescription called into your pharmacy.
- If you develop a cold/flu, cold sore, blemish or rash, etc. in the area to be treated prior to your appointment, we recommend you reschedule your appointment until it resolves.
- We recommend discontinuing products containing retinols (Retin-A) 3 days prior to treatments to avoid increased redness and irritation.
- We recommend waiting at least 2 weeks before and after your Sculptra to have any other cosmetic facial treatments, including laser, ultrasound, peel, facials, micro needling, microdermabrasion, etc. 12. Please come to your Sculptra appointment with NO makeup if possible.
- You must massage the treated areas using the 5-5-5 rule: Massage areas 5 times a day for 5 minutes each time, for the next 5 days. If you had Sculptra in the neck, massage one side of the neck at a time, and massage in an upward direction.
- No straining, heavy lifting, or vigorous exercise, excessive sun or heat exposure, exposure to extreme cold, or drinking alcoholic beverages for 24 hours following treatment.
- Please wait 2 weeks before any other aesthetic treatments.
- Cold packs may be applied to areas of swelling after injections.
- Wearing makeup is not recommended for the next 24 hours.
- You may follow your normal skincare routine tonight using gentle cleansers and light washing.
- If you have a small bump that remains 4-6 weeks after your Sculptra treatment, please let us know and we will see you back in the office to resolve it.
- Avoid dental work, vaccines, surgeries, tattoos or permanent makeup for 4 weeks after your Sculptra appointment. Avoid dermal filler for 3 months.
- Common side effects after Sculptra include swelling, bruising, tenderness/soreness, lumps, redness, and itching at the injection sites. Ice/cold packs can help improve these. Please notify us immediately for any intense areas of pain or significant bruising.