Neurotoxin Pre + Post Care
Pre-Neurotoxin Injection Care
- If you have a special event or vacation coming up, please keep in mind that you should schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Do not receive neurotoxin injections if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- It is recommended to discontinue aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Aleve), platelet inhibitors, anticoagulants, any form of fish oil, vitamin E, vitamin A, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, garlic, kava kava, celery root and any other herbal or homeopathic remedies that may contribute to bleeding risk at least 1 week prior to neurotoxin injections. Please consult with your primary care provider prior to discontinuing any of these medications.
- If you have a history of a neuromuscular or immunosuppressive disorder, please get a signed note from your treating provider authorizing the use of neurotoxins.
- Avoid alcohol and cigarettes 24-48 hours before and after your treatment, as these may contribute to increased swelling, bruising, and irritation. Limit caffeine intake.
- If you develop a cold/flu, cold sore, blemish or rash, etc. in the area to be treated prior to your appointment, we recommend you reschedule your appointment until it resolves.
- We recommend discontinuing products containing retinols (Retin-A) 3 days prior to treatments to avoid increased redness and irritation.
- We recommend waiting at least 1 week before and after your Botox/neurotoxin injections to have any other cosmetic facial treatments, including laser, ultrasound, peel, facials, micro needling, microdermabrasion, etc.
Post-Neurotoxin Injection Care
- Avoid the following for the next 4 hours after your injections: straining, heavy lifting, vigorous exercise, massaging the area, or laying down. Toxin takes approximately 2 hours to bind itself to the nerve to start working, and because we do not want to increase circulation to that area to spread the Botox®/neurotoxin from where it was injected, this waiting period continues to be recommended.
- Making facial expressions (raising eyebrows, scowling, squinting) is recommended for 1 hour following treatment to stimulate the binding of the toxin only to the muscle.
- NO facials, peels, microdermabrasion, microneedling, etc. for 1 week after treatment. These procedures can be done before Botox®/neurotoxin injection, but not immediately after.
- Wearing makeup is not recommended for the next 24 hours.
- You may follow your normal skincare routine tonight using gentle cleansers and light washing.
- Neurotoxins can take 2-14 days to see full effects, and can last 2-5 months, depending on each unique person.
- We recommend all initial consult patients make a 2-week follow up appointment for any enhancements.
If there are any questions during our business hours of Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm, please call our office (406) 587-4432 ext. 5 to reach a medical assistant.