Kybella Pre + Post Care
- If you have a special event or vacation coming up, please keep in mind that you should schedule your treatment at least 4 weeks in advance.
- Do not receive Kybella if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- It is recommended to discontinue aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Aleve), platelet inhibitors, anticoagulants, fish oil, vitamin E, vitamin A, ginkgoo biloba, ginseng, garlic, kava kava, celery root and any other herbal or homeopathic remedies that may contribute to bleeding risk at least 1 week prior to Kybella injections. Please consult with your primary care provider prior to discontinuing any of these medications.
- If you have a history of a neuromuscular or immunosuppressive disorder, please get a signed note from your treating provider authorizing the use of Kybella.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplements and cigarettes 24-48 hours before and after your treatment, as these may contribute to increased swelling, bruising, and irritation.
- If you have a history of cold sores, we recommend you are pretreated with acyclovir prior to Kybella. Please let us know if you need a prescription called into your pharmacy.
- If you develop a cold/flu, cold sore, active infection, blemish or rash, etc. in the area to be treated prior to your appointment, we recommend you reschedule your appointment until it resolves.
- We recommend discontinuing products containing retinols (Retin-A) 3 days prior to treatments to avoid increased redness and irritation.
- We recommend waiting at least 2 weeks before and after your Kybella to have any other cosmetic facial treatments, including laser, ultrasound, peel, facials, micro needling, microdermabrasion, etc.
- Please come to your Kybella appointment without makeup if possible.
- No heavy lifting or vigorous exercise for 24 hours following treatment.
- Avoid manipulation/massage of the area following treatment. This includes NOT doing facials, peels, microdermabrasion, microneedling, etc. for 14 days after treatment.
- Cold/ice packs may be applied to areas of swelling after injections for the first 12 hours.
- Wearing makeup is not recommended for the next 24 hours.
- You may follow your normal skincare routine tonight using gentle cleansers and light washing.
- Common side effects after Kybella include burning sensation following injections, significant swelling, bruising, numbness, and discomfort in the treatment area. Swelling may last 1-2 weeks after injections. Numbness may also last weeks after injections. Please notify us if you develop trouble swallowing.
- Please schedule your next Kybella treatment in 6 weeks.
If there are any questions during our business hours of Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm, please call our office (406) 587-4432 ext. 5 to reach a medical assistant.