Filler Pre + Post Care
Dermal Filler Pre-Care
- If you have a special event or vacation coming up, please keep in mind that you should schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Patients should not schedule any invasive procedures for 3-4 weeks before or after dermal fillers. These include but are not limited to:
- Dental cleaning or dental work (crowns, root canals, etc.)
- Surgery of any kind
- Internal device placement
- Tattoos or permanent makeup
- Any vaccines
- Fillers are not generally recommended if you have a history of surgical face lifts/implants in the past.
- Do not receive dermal fillers if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- It is recommended to discontinue aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Aleve), platelet inhibitors, anticoagulants, fish oil, vitamin E, vitamin A, gingko biloba, ginseng, garlic, kava kava, celery root and any other herbal or homeopathic remedies that may contribute to bleeding risk at least 1 week prior to dermal filler injections. Please consult with your primary care provider prior to discontinuing any of these medications.
- If you have a history of a neuromuscular or immunosuppressive disorder, please get a signed note from your treating provider authorizing the use of dermal fillers.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplements and cigarettes 24-48 hours before and after your treatment, as these may contribute to increased swelling, bruising, and irritation.
- If you have a history of cold sores, we recommend you are pretreated with acyclovir prior to your injections. Please let us know if you need a prescription called into your pharmacy.
- If you develop a cold/flu, cold sore, blemish or rash, etc. in the area to be treated prior to your appointment, we recommend you reschedule your appointment until it resolves.
- We recommend discontinuing products containing retinols (Retin-A) 3 days prior to treatments to avoid increased redness and irritation.
- We recommend waiting at least 2 weeks before and after your dermal fillers to have any other cosmetic facial treatments, including laser, ultrasound, peel, facials, micro needling, microdermabrasion, etc.
- Please come to your filler appointment with NO makeup if possible.
Dermal Filler Post-Care
- No straining, heavy lifting, or vigorous exercise, excessive sun or heat exposure, exposure to extreme cold, or drinking alcoholic beverages for 24 hours following treatment.
- Avoid manipulation/massage of the area following treatment. This includes NOT doing facials, peels, microdermabrasion, microneedling, etc. for 14 days after treatment.
- Cold packs may be applied to areas of swelling after injections.
- Wearing makeup is not recommended for the next 24 hours.
- You may follow your normal skincare routine tonight using gentle cleansers and light washing.
- Try to sleep on your back for 24-48 hours to avoid risking any possible manipulation of the filler.
- Avoid dental work, vaccines, surgeries, tattoos or permanent makeup for 3 weeks after your filler appointment.
- We recommend all initial consult patients make a 2-week follow up appointment.
- Common side effects after dermal filler include swelling, bruising, tenderness, lumps, redness, and itching at the injection sites. Ice/cold packs can help improve these. Please notify us immediately for any intense areas of pain or significant bruising.
If there are any questions DURING BUSINESS HOURS (8 am - 5 pm) please call our office (406) 587-4432 ext. 5 to reach a medical assistant.