Chemical Peel Pre + Post Care
VI Peel Pre-Care
- No retinol for three days prior to treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure - no tanned skin.
- If you have an allergy to aspirin or phenol, are pregnant or breastfeeding, you CANNOT get this procedure done.
- Plan to NOT exercise vigorously for the next 3-4 days after treatment. Avoid excessive perspiration as sweating may induce water blisters ans excessive internal warming.
- Plan to have the peel remain on your face for four hours post treatment.
- If you are prone to cold sores, please let us know prior to treatment.
VI Peel Post-Care
- The first two days your skin will look a little tan, bronzed, or pink. It may also feel a bit tight before the peeling begins.
- As a rule, treat it like a sunburn: avoid sun exposure, avoid sweating and avoid heat.
- During the peeling phase you must avoid sun exposure. Even after the peeling has subsided your new skin will be sensitive to UV light. Protect your investment and reapply your sunscreen when outdoors.
- If any products in the post peel kit sting or irritate beyond your tolerance reach out to your practitioner for options to use instead.
- The amount of visible peeling you will experience varies greatly. You will peel as much as your skin needs to peel.
- Each morning, apply the Post Treatment Repair Cream and SPF 50+ Sunscreen, and apply as needed throughout the day. Continue use for the 7-Day peeling process.
- Function: The towelettes included in your post peel kit provide additional stimulation of the skin and expedite the peeling process.
- Use: First towelette should be used 4 hours after your peel has been applied. Subsequent towelettes will be applied at intervals designated in your aftercare booklet. All towelettes should be spaced a minimum of 4 hours apart and all towelettes should be used in the first 48 hours.
- Discontinue any unused towelettes if you note any peeling within the first 48 Hours.
- Side effects: Towelettes are not refreshing towelettes. There are active ingredients in these towelettes and therefore you may note some light stinging upon application. Some people can also experience some itching, especially on night 1 which can be remedied by applying Post Treatment Repair Cream, hydrocortisone cream, or taking oral antihistamine.
- Safe products to use during peeling: VI Derm Gentle Purifying Cleanser, Post Treatment Repair Cream, SPF 50+. (From your home you can also use a gentle cleanser, Aquaphor, and sunscreen.)
- Days 3, 4 and 5 are the typical days of peeling. By day 6 most exfoliation has subsided.
- Typically, peeling begins on the third day, starting around the mouth then peeling outward. The forehead and neck will be the last areas to peel.
- We recommend cleansing your face prior to showering and keeping your face protected from hot water.
- When cleansing your face use your fingertips only. Avoid using washcloths or facial machine brushes during the first week.
- While the skin is exfoliating avoid pulling, picking, rubbing and any premature removal of skin. This could lead to significant irritation and possible hyperpigmentation. Never force or peel the skin off in sheets.
- When peeling make sure to keep your body hydrated and your skin moisturized.
- The Post Treatment Repair Cream may cause slight sensitivity when first applied but it quickly subsides.
- If you are excessively dry or irritated when peeling, add a light layer of Aquaphor to provide a protective barrier.
- Resuming Skin Care Products
- Non-Actives: Can be resumed once peeling has subsided, usually day 6-7.
- Actives: Can be resumed once peeling has subsided and sensitivity has returned to normal, usually day 7-10.
- Physical Activity / Exercise:
- Refrain for 72-96 hours after peel application. Inducing excessive perspiration can lead to PIH or blistering.
- Scheduling the Next VI Peel:
- VI Peels should be scheduled every 4-6 weeks (for best results)
- Additional Skincare Treatments:
- It is recommended to wait for a minimum of 2 weeks before any treatment that creates exfoliation of the skin. (Includes facials, extractions, waxing, and threading)
- Consult with your practitioner for other treatment options.
If there are any questions during our business hours of Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm, please call our office (406) 587-4432 ext. 5 to reach a medical assistant.